Total Pageviews

Sunday 17 July 2011

Feedback in the field

I was reading a rather interesting comment in response to Scott Thornbury's post on P is for Practicum

The idea was of using twitter in the class to provide an instant assessment / advice for the trainee teacher while they are teaching. This would give real-time feedback (learning as a process) and would not break the flow of the lesson. I think this is an amazing idea with a lot of potential.


Scott's video shows how he provides real time (just in time) assessment and evaluation for his trainees, and it is a wonderful example of deep learning taking place for the whole cohort.



This is certainly something that I would like to experiment with for my next round of observations: an I pad could be placed on the teacher's desk, set up a Tweetdeck hash tag and welcome tweets from your peers. I think there could be value here as well for students to post during the session.

Since we started using google docs for our admin system, I have noted that I receive a lot of emails and texts during class regarding teaching points. To be honest this is great. I like the idea of me sitting in at my desk providing explanations of language points to classes around the school in real-time. Very powerful stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work :O) and what's the name of that tool that looks like a heart monitor / traffic counter, kinda jazzy :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look forward to hearing results of any experimentation using iPad and Twitter for observations! Loved the real-time assessment and feedback on the video.

    Ed, I think it's called 'Blog Stats' and is a gadget you can add on Blogger.

    ReplyDelete